The town's name has different interpretations: for some historians it derives from the Greek "pan kalon" (where everything is wonderful), for others from "pan colis" (place where fear grows), while the most reliable thesis, however, is that it derives from "pani calet" (the place of pagan altars entitled to Pan).
Panicale is a municipality in the province of Perugia, located on a hill between the valley of Lake Trasimeno and the one of the river Nestore, from where it is possible to admire a view that stretches from the Apennines of Umbria and Marche to the hills of Siena. It is a small town center that preserves the typical medieval plan of concentric circles with sections of walls and main gateways. It is well known for the production of embroidery and lace.
The area was inhabited since ancient times and in the VII century B.C. was probably part of the territories of Chiusi, until later it was conquered by the Romans. The first document that reports the existence of a settlement, dates back up to 917, a period in which the fief was donated by the Emperor Berengario I to the Marquis of Uguccione. In 1037, granted by the local Lord of the time, the town acquired its own autonomy, much more in advance compared to other municipalities of the area, and was then subjected to Perugia to return independent in the first half of the XVI century. In 1373, Panicale was assigned to Guglielmo di Beaufort and only three years later the citizens rebelled against their feudal lord, under the guidance of their leader Boldrino, head of the revolt. In the XV century, the town became part of the possessions of Fortebraccio da Montone and from the XVI century it submitted the domain of the Papal States.
- the Church of San Sebastiano, where two important frescoes are preserved: the Martyrdom of St. Sebastian by the Perugino and the Coronation of Maria by Raffaello;
- the Collegiate Church of San Michele Arcangelo, of Lombard origins, has submitted several changes over the centuries and in the XVII century, the building was conferred with a Baroque style. It houses several important artworks, including a painting attributed to the artist Caporali, a fresco by Masolino of Panicale, a XVI century wooden crucifix and a XIX century organ;
- the XVI century Church of St. Augustine, inside which are preserved frescoes by the school of the Perugino, an altar designed by Giambattista di Christoforo da Cortona and houses the Museum of Tulle;
- the Church of Our Lady of Sbarra of 1625, with its elegant façade;
- the Shrine of Our Lady of Mongiovino in the district of Tavernelle;
- the Sanctuary of Grondici;
- the Church of Saint Lucia;
- the Palazzo del Podesta (of the Governor);
- Palazzo Landi;
- Porta Fiorentina;
- the XVIII century Theatre Caporali.