Moncalvo is a municipality in the province of Asti, situated on the border with the territory of Alexandria. An important industrial center and a famous agricultural and wine market. Its inhabitants participate actively in the Palio di Asti, a medieval fair, in honor of the patron Saint of the provincial capital, San Secondo. The district Patro is known for its traditional production of "subièt d'Patro," a characteristic whistle in polychrome terracotta, a collection piece with auspicious of good will. Until the first half of the XX century, Moncalvo hosted a Jewish community of which only few traces remain today: the ghetto and a cemetery, situated on the road to Alexandria, with graves dating from the XVIII century.
The settlement of Roman origins, became a property owned by the Church of Asti and was fief of various families, including the Graffagni, the Marquis of Monferrato, the Marquis of Saluzzo in the XIV century, the Paleologi of Monferrato and also underwent several foreign rules, until Moncalvo returned under the rule Gonzaga of Mantua. The town was then ceded to Galeazzo di Canossa, to Rolando Natta and to the Marquis of Ceva. It passed to the Savoy in 1704 and was proclaimed City in 1774 by Vittorio Amedeo III.
Not to miss:
- the parish of St. Francis, located in the square entitled to the same Saint , was built in the early XII century, rebuilt in Gothic style between the XIII and XIV century, remodeled again in the XVII century, it features one major nave and two aisles. Inside it reserves paintings by the artist Moncalvo and his school, a Madonna and Child with Saints and SS. Rocco and Martino of Macrino d'Alba, artworks of the XVI century.
- the Church of St. Peter in Chains, the Parish Church, built in Romanesque style.
- the Church of Madonna delle Grazie, dating from the XVIII century, it preserves inside paintings attributed to Moncalvo.
- the Church of Saint Catherine of Alexandria in the village of Castellino.
- the Church of San Marco.
- the Church of St. John the Baptist.
- the XVII century Chapel of San Rocco, in the district of Cioccano di Penango.
- the XVII century Church of St. Anthony.
- the remains of the Castle of the Marquis of Monferrato from medieval times.
- the Municipal Theater, which dates back to 1878.
- Palazzo Testafochi of the XVIII century.
- the Town Hall, a former convent, which dates back to the XVII century