Manduria is one of the largest and most active towns of the province of Taranto. It enjoys a Mediterranean climate and its fertile land produces the famous D.O.C. wine "Primitivo di Manduria".
Part of the Murge Tarantine, it is situated at 79 metres above sea level and its territory extends along the coastline (approx. 18 km length). Manduria is so important due to the favorable location in between the provinces of Taranto, Brindisi and Lecce.
Founded by the Messapi (ancient Italic population) its inhabitants battled many a time with the nearby town of Taranto, under the Greek domination at the time. Today it is still possible to see the high defensive walls that used to protect the town.
During the Second Punic War the inhabitants helped Hannibal and his Carthaginians and for this, in a second period, they submitted a strong repression by the Romans, who deported them as slaves.
The emblem of the town is a well that appears from an almond tree, known as the "fountain of Plinio" (Fonte Pliniano), being mentioned in one of Plinio il Vecchio's works. Important site is also the "Mother Church" in Romanic style, the "Marchesale (Lord) Palace" (built in 1719) and the defence tower "Torre Burraco" (built in 1473).