Laterza is situated between two deep clefts. The word cleft means a large valley with the shape of large crevasse mined in the chalky rocks.
They were already lived in since the early ages: in 1965 a necropolis was excavated which dates back to 2000 a.C.
Laterza, already important during the Magna Grecia period, suffered the influence of the Greeks at their time and later on with the Romans. But the final location of the town, were we can admire it today, was probably decided only around year 1000 d.C.
Of major interest is the "Marchesale" Palace, of the XVI century, locally known as "the Castle". It was recently sold to the town hall (1986) from the last lords of Laterza: the Perez-Navarrete.
Between the cave churches, probably the most interesting one is the Spanish Cantine, the only one where the wall paintings are completed by sculptures in high relief.
Bread baking is very important in the traditions of Laterza and it is actually covered by a Corporate Quality Trademark. Not less important is the manufacture of ceramic goods, tradition since the Magna Grecian times. The colour characteristics are deep blue on white basis and simlpe touches of yellow and green.